Ultium battery cells from GM electric powered motor vehicles have an official recycler: Canada&#039s Li-Cycle

Share on:

The Canadian company Li-Cycle will recycle leftover uncooked content from the production of Ultium battery cells for forthcoming Standard Motors electrical autos, the automaker introduced Tuesday in a push launch.

Li-Cycle will recycle “up to 100% of the product scrap from battery-cell manufacturing,” which includes cobalt, nickel, lithium, graphite, copper, manganese, and aluminum, the release claimed.

Of the recovered product, 95% can be applied for output of new batteries “or for adjacent industries,” the release said. It truly is unclear what will be accomplished with the remaining 5% of product recovered.

In addition, a hydrometallurgical recycling process will slice greenhouse-fuel emissions by 30% over standard processes, according to GM.

Standard Motors Ultium batteries

Recycling scrap content from production is different from recycling full battery packs at the conclusion of their assistance lifetime, or reusing EV battery packs in other purposes. GM promises it has also recycled or reused all packs received from customers—including any packs replaced via guarantee service—since 2013. Most present-day GM electric cars and trucks are fixed with refurbished packs, the automaker said.

The modular design of new Ultium batteries will make reuse and recycling less complicated, GM said. The Ultium cells are element of a main propulsion system that employs the identical significant-structure pouch cells across its EVs, with a wi-fi battery-management process will help evaluate the situation of cells and modules.

2022 GMC Hummer EV

2022 GMC Hummer EV

The initially model thanks with the new Ultium battery technique is the 2022 GMC Hummer EV SUT pickup truck, scheduled to begin manufacturing afterwards this calendar year, with an SUV edition adhering to in 2023 as a 2024 model.

GM started with the Ultium battery tech—and forming a extensive-term partnership with LG Chem—before creating the Hummer EV itself. The automaker just very last month declared a 2nd LG joint-enterprise battery plant in Tennessee, together with an Ohio area. The Tennessee website is in the vicinity of GM’s Spring Hill Plant, because of to make the Cadillac Lyriq electric powered SUV beginning in 2022.

Share on: